Friday, June 17, 2016

Rockman

Rockman
9 x 12"
trad x digital
Marius Black
2006




Rockman is one of my all time favorite video game characters. I used to play Rockman games on our family computer with my friends, swapping video game cartridges and codes so that we beat all the damn robot masters and eventually Dr. Wily. Alas my fondness of Rockman has never faded, it sucks that Keiji Inafune has left Capcom and no one really can produce a good quality Rockman / Megaman game going forwards.
Let's not bring into the discussion Mighty No.9 because frankly I don't have the same attachment I have with him compared to Rockman. For all I care, Inafune should have just made a new character and made that his jumping point but to revive him as Mighty No.9 for me does not feel right. That's just me, go ahead if you still want to buy his Mighty No. 9 games, I've got no money to spare for that.

Anyway, I made this artwork just because. I was never really good at making fan art back when I was a kid. I could never always get it right, I could draw Spider-man okay but the rest was never really that good. So I decided to give a crack at it when I had some free time in college. I had a shit ton of paper unused from my anatomy class and so I just went a head and made a Rockman fan art. And to my surprise I was able to make it way better this time! I understood the anatomy of the specific character had, the feel of the style, all of it! Even the personality of the character I now understood it perfectly. Back then I was just drawing them. Come to think of it I was able to draw Rockman along with the robot bosses on Rockman V. That start screen where you choose which stage you'll be playing. I got them all perfectly as I remembered. It's just that I've lost that artwork on paper. Probably I gave it away or got stolen by another fan or still in my archives. But since then I never tried to draw Rockman up til now.


I started to doodle Rockman with pencil, then when I got to the pose I liked I tightened my pencils and scanned the image. Then I colored it digitally, with a mouse! And I didn't even use Photoshop! I used Picture Publisher then and still I manage to come up with something extraordinary. I hope you Rockman fans at heart appreciate this artwork. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment