Sunday, July 10, 2016

Teddy Dies Again



Teddy Dies Again
8 x 11"
trad x digital
2006



I was in second year in high school when I got a free teddy bear from our Christmas party, it came from Shakey's Pizza as a bonus for choosing them as our party food. They had these free white teddy bears so I got one. Four years later, I was in second year of college when I got the idea to hang this cute little bear on a noose and put him on my bag as a keychain. 




Since then It was imitated by other students in our university and soon I saw other people doing it outside our campus. Teddy even got mentioned at my Fudge magazine interview about fashion back in 2006. And up until today he's still alive, I mean dead. I mean he's still here with me, I mean I still have him. He's  just hangin' and chillin' and ain't givin' a fuck.
 
Fudge Magazine December 2006

I've actually made lots of hanged stuffed toys, including a black teddy, a small teddy.
Even Jack Skellington has joined in the fun and has hanged himself in my room. 

Jack's already dead right?

Yes I do have a thing for suicides, it's even my topic for my thesis. I'm not really fond of it nor would want to commit it. I did almost do it though when I was so depressed at a low point in my life. But if you ask me, as much as anything in this world, I chose to live instead. Because truth be told, no matter how depressed I get, whenever I feel down and suicidal, I just make or finish an artwork or write a poem or short story or essay or paint or make comics... I feel better. And that's some solid advice right there, whenever you feel suicidal, just do something you love doing and keep you mind away from anything that's making you think you want to die. 

At least I haven't crucified any teddy bears yet.
 Focus it on creating something, or doing something that you thought you'd never get to do, like writing a book or painting a masterpiece, anything! You choose! And after you finished writing or painting or drawing. I guarantee you'll feel much better. I do have lots of hanged stuff toys, but they don't make me want to hang or kill myself, they serve as a reminder. A reminder of how funny or silly the act of taking one's own life is. If you aren't terminally I'll or you aren't suffering or anything of the like, then you don't need to kill yourself.  

You want to know a secret? Life is too short! Think of the things you can  get done and not even finish in this lifetime! So why would you want to end your life so abruptly over something like a break-up or a fuck up? There are far worse things that you can do in this life, and taking your life too soon is not really going to make things better for that girl who broke-up with you or your family that you love so much. If you're in debt think of the funeral costs they'd be spending money on instead of you just getting a job. Or imagine if you jumped off a cliff and you lived, have you ever thought of how much the hospital bill would cost? Geeze, just live. Get over it and be a man or a hot woman instead. Don't let your end be as dissatisfying as giving up. Not everything is in our control, it doesn't have to be. But we can choose what and what not to think about. Or try telling a friend about your problems or if you don't have a friend write a blog. Just try and express yourself so that you don't have to carry all that weight you choose to carry along with you. 

Black Teddy has so many problems...

Wouldn't it be better to live your life the way you want to? Or at least die trying to achieve your goals and dreams? And surprise surprise when you do achieve them you'll find yourself you want to do more, your goals just keeps growing and you wouldn't even think of killing yourself after that. In face life does get better and you'll actually want to live longer. You've come full circle now! Wouldn't it be better to die happy and satisfied of the life you lived? 
 
In the end, we all die eventually. So don't get too excited to end your life, you'll get there soon enough.

Marius Black
Manila, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment