Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Dream of Eve


Tilda Swinton as Eve in Only Lovers Left Alive
12 x 16.5"
mixed media on paper
Marius Black
(2016)


Does anyone else thinks that Adam purposely left Ian alone with Eva to punish him for stealing his music? It wasn't mentioned but it was actually really subtly done between Adam and Eva through eye contact, like when Eva was dancing in the club with Ian and Adam's music is playing and she's looking at Adam like her saying;  "See? I'm right aren't I? Let me eat this guy." (RIP Anton Yelchin)

Alongside with Strangers in Paradise, I think this is one of Jim Jarmusch's movie that's filled with subtlety and subtext. I've seen almost all of his films but I put this and Strangers with the most subtext. Well I think all his movies are filled with subtext but Only Lovers and Strangers are my tops two picks of having the most. At least maybe after watching his filmography again, then maybe I'll find more hidden meanings.


Only Lovers Left Alive is one of my favorite movies... probably my most favorite after watching it again for the nth time before I painted this. I find Tilda Swinton already so lovely, who knew making her a vampire would make her even more so.

Oh and the music was really spot on, who could ask for more when you could write, direct and score your own music in your own film. This film is really a masterpiece and should get more attention.. Oh wait, maybe that's not really a good thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment